spangle n : adornment consisting of a small piece of shiny material used to decorate clothing [syn: sequin, diamante]
1 glitter as if covered with spangles
2 decorate with spangles; "the star-spangled banner" [syn: bespangle]
- Rhymes: -æŋɡəl
- Spangles (British boiled sweet)
Spangle may refer to:
- Spangle (or Sequin), a small, thin, often circular piece of glittering metal or other material, used especially for decorating garments.
- Spangle, a wire loop of glass beads or other ornaments, passing through a hole drilled near the base of a bobbin used in bobbin lacemaking.
- Spangle, a sweet you could buy in Britain, went out of production sometime in 1970s.
- Spangle, a budgerigar feather colouration mutation, in which normal black wing and throat spot feathers have only the outer edge of the black remaining, with the rest of the feather being the colour of the wing and head feathers.
- Spangle (engineering component), a square bush used for transferring linear forces into rotational forces.
- Spangle, Washington, USA.
- "The Star-Spangled Banner", a broadly used term for the American National Anthem
adorn, band, bar, bead, bejewel, beribbon, bespangle, bespeckle, bespot, blink, blinking, blotch, check, checker, coruscate, coruscation, dapple, decorate, diamond, dot, engrave, feather, figure, filigree, firefly, flag, flake, fleck, flounce, flower, freckle, garland, gem, gleam, glimmer, glimmering, glisk, glisten, glister, glitter, glittering, glowworm, harlequin, illuminate, iris, jewel, maculate, marble, marbleize, motley, mottle, ornament, paint, pepper, plume, polychrome, polychromize, rainbow, ribbon, scintilla, scintillate, scintillation, shimmer, shimmering, spark, sparkle, speck, speckle, splotch, spot, sprinkle, stigmatize, stipple, streak, striate, stripe, stroboscopic light, stud, tattoo, tessellate, tinsel, trim, twinkle, twinkling, variegate, vein, wreathe